Senior Avery Urquhart’s Internship Took Her to Super Bowl Week

Student Avery Urquhart at Super Bowl events.

School of Communication Studies senior Avery Urquhart is still sorting out what she will do after graduating, but she knows she would love for it to be in the sports world. After working in the Fan Experience office of UT Athletics, Urquhart kept her eye out for other learning and working opportunities that were sports-related. That’s what let her to an internship at A3 Athletics, where she’s done everything from social media to her most recent project: handling the schedules of NFL clients for pre-Super Bowl LVII events.

“Before this, I didn’t even know there was a whole week of events that led up to the Super Bowl. My job was to plan the entire week for them, everything from red carpet interviews, exclusive parties, charitable events, and sponsorships,” she said.

Urquhart was pleasantly surprised when A3 Athletics asked her if she would like to travel to Arizona and attend some of the events she had scheduled for the clients. 

“My work really was all done beforehand, so when I got there I was able to attend the events and just enjoy it. It was really nice,” she said. “I am so glad everything came together well. It was rewarding to see all the hard work pay off in-person and receive recognition from those at the agency. I’m so thankful for this opportunity.”

Now that she’s back home from the excitement of one of the country’s largest sporting events, Urquhart is back to her studies and thinking about her future. She is co-president of the Communication Studies honor society, Lambda Pi Eta, along with two other students, Tessa Levy and Cassidy Bayer. She is also involved in Women of Haslam, Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society, Communication Studies Club, Helping Hands, National Society of Leadership and Success, Rocky Top Rowdies, and CHAARG.

Avery Urquhart with "Jake from State Farm" at a pre-Super Bowl event.
Avery Urquhart with “Jake from State Farm” at a pre-Super Bowl event.