Women in Cable Telecommunications Provides Students with Career Development

Apply Here! (Deadline: Sept. 27)

Are you a junior or senior looking to explore career opportunities, network with industry professionals and gain valuable development advice? Do you want to gain an invaluable mentor, but don’t know where to start? The Women in Cable Telecommunications Southeast Chapter Student Mentor Program just may be the opportunity you have been looking for.

Women in Cable Telecommunications (WICT) is an international organization that focuses on developing women leaders in the cable and telecommunications industry. WICT advances the position and influence of women through proven leadership programs and services at both the national and local levels. The WICT SE student mentoring program is in its 10th year and promises to be the most impactful year yet.

WICT is dedicated to building strong leaders who light the way for others and create a lasting legacy of diversity and inclusion. As a WICT SE student mentee, you will surround yourself with women and men committed to lifelong learning who share a common goal of enhancing their leadership skills and advancing their careers.

Liza Cunningham

Liza CunninghamLiza Cunningham (Advertising ’20) was a part of the program and was impressed with the camaraderie of all of the women involved in the program.

“In the first meeting I noticed every woman there celebrated each other and their accomplishments inside and outside of the workplace,” she says. “Being exposed to professionals outside of the classroom showed me how many options there were to find jobs, how to interview, and how to brand and sell myself.”

Addie Morton

Addie MortonFor Addie Morton (JEM ’20), the program offered opportunity for networking and making connections.

“My mentor had connections to the Nashville music business industry. I have always wanted to work in country music,” Addie explains. “Through her coaching and introductions, I was able to get an internship in Nashville over the summer!”

Tina Shanklin

Tina Shanklin“The WICT mentoring program helped me to instilled confidence in myself,” says Tina Shanklin (C&I ’20). “My mentor was supportive and let me bounce ideas off of her regarding school and work.

“I work for a woman-owned company, and it was so inspiring to be a part of a network of women dedicated to raising up the next generation of female leaders.”

The students who participate in this program will have the opportunity to:

• Enhance their leadership skills
  • Gain confidence in their professional effectiveness
  • Participate in resume preparation and interviewing practice
  • Network with emerging leaders

The 2019-2020 Professional Development events include:

• 1:1 mentoring sessions with professionals in the industry
  • Resumé and interview boot camp
  • Lunch & learns
  • Job shadowing
  • Professional panel discussions